For the third quarter of 2017 over a million VR-headsets were sold

As if some or abused the technology of virtual reality beyond its obvious flaws, it surely continues to gain popularity. Yes, VR is not yet devoid of serious technical flaws such as low-resolution display, a wired connection to the source, as well as "motion sickness effect" that causes nausea in some users. However, statistics of sales of virtual reality headsets tells us that this technology is large and bright future.

For the third quarter of 2017 over a million VR-headsets were sold

The analyst firm Canalys published its report on sales of VR-set of the largest manufacturers in the third quarter of 2017. These data give confidence that the virtual reality confidently gaining momentum and more and more people decide to purchase a bizarre device, move them into a video game, or a 360-degree video. The main producers of VR-helmets in just three months managed to sell slightly more than 1 million such devices. It may seem that this is a small number, but remember that in the past year, the situation with sales was quite depressing.

He led by three leaders of the Japanese company Sony. She was able to realize 490 000 helmets PlayStation VR. Given that last week during the "Black Friday" cost Sony headset was reduced almost in half, you can mentally add on to this number a couple of hundreds of thousands of devices. While these data have not yet been made public. Overall, Sony with its headset managed to grab 49% of the market, which is very, very good indicator. The second place with 21% and 210 000 sold headset takes the company Oculus. And third, as you might have guessed, with 14% of lagging HTC 160 000 sold headsets Vive. In general, the three leaders took today 86% of the market. The remaining 14% is divided between players such as Google, Samsung, Lenovo and others. Their headsets, unfortunately manufacturers can not compete with the widest range of games and applications that can boast Sony, Oculus and HTC. Sony is so good "shot" his PlayStation VR, which instantly grabbed 80% of the Japanese market. And stop the Japanese are not going: they regularly release bundles a helmet, putting to games like Gran Turismo Sport or Skyrim VR.

Today, analysts are convinced that virtual reality is waiting for an unprecedented rise in the coming years. After all, these devices can be used not only in the gaming industry, but also in industry, health care, education and other industries. Given that Microsoft has recently created an open platform Windows Mixed Reality, on the market in the near future will flood VR-headset from a variety of manufacturers. Wait for it is very long.