7 interesting facts about the history of the kiss
Statistical studies have shown that people remember to 85-90 per cent of all the details for which there was their first kiss. In this case, the memory is 2-3 times less than the details of the death and burial of parents, loss of virginity or the birth of their first child.
1. There are three kisses origin theory.
The first is that the root cause is kiss maternity. When a child is throwing his chest, but he could not on their own bite and chew solid food, for it is the mother did, to turn food into a liquid slurry, and then pass it on to their offspring, so to speak, by word of mouth. Then the action started to play the role of pacifier: to deceive and calm the child, the mother just touched her lips to his, simulating the process of feeding. But in the end the lips touch lips acquired the meaning of tenderness and affection.
The second theory sees the kiss simple imitation of animals. For example, birds that during mating dances, among other manipulation, touch each other with their beaks (here - "miluyutsya as Dove"). Or - "kissing fish" gourami. True, gourami in fact it is not a manifestation of tenderness: thus males fighting for territory and females. They just face off mouths: one is smaller, the inglorious leaving "battlefield".
A third theory says that a kiss from our ancestors imagined peaceful intentions: touch forward elongated lips instead of a fierce grin of teeth, ready to grab the throat of the enemy.
2. All these theories, each of which has its own effective and convincing, divided, however, about one inexplicable phenomenon - the behavior of chimpanzees. These are our distant relatives touching, quite human, hugging the neck of someone they love, and pressed it to his lips. And none zoopsychologists unable to explain how such a manifestation of affection is taken.
3. The first written evidence about the kiss in human history goes back to the Persian inscriptions which are about 4 thousand years. In the V century BC, Herodotus also mentions the kiss, and also in connection with the Persians. However, this is not quite the kiss. "The Persians - Herodotus - equal social status with men meet kiss each other on the mouth, and unequal - on the cheek."
4. zenith habit of kissing has reached the ancient Romans. Kissing all: men, women, children, relatives, friends and acquaintances barely; kissing everywhere: at home, on the streets and in public places. Smeared lips special aromatic lipstick to kiss was nice. In short, it took on the character of insanity, and the emperor Tiberius special decree brought the epidemic or kissing up to a reasonable size.
5. The terrible plague and smallpox in Europe, claiming the lives of almost half of the continent's population, have made adjustments to the ancient traditions. By the Renaissance appeared entirely new forms of etiquette: a deep bow with waving his hat in front of him (and then it turned into a little bow and a simple touch of the hat); kiss a woman's hand in glove (and then it turned into a slight shaking and tilting the head on hand); men appeared handshake when meeting and parting; Finally, there was a "kiss."
6. In 1896, the film was shown in New York, "The Kiss". Reaction to it can only be compared with the 12-point storm. Here is what wrote after that, "New York Times": "Increased to gargantuan proportions, it is a disgusting sight does not cause anything other than feelings of nausea. Immediate intervention of the police - that's all it takes. "
7. In the thirties in Hollywood was established iron limitation: the duration of the kiss should not exceed three seconds, kissing had to stand firmly on the ground (no hangs or around the neck, lightheadedness, lifting legs, and even more so, no sex in bed ). However, very soon reappeared "kissing dissidents" - Cary Grant and Clark Gable. And they, of course, imitated all the other actors.