Village Underground lights
Nendzhioen village, which is located in the southwest of China, known as the Invisible Village Fire. The air is so saturated with methane, that a single spark can start a fire. Villagers have learned to live with it and even use the methane for their own purposes, but they do it very carefully so as not to cause an explosion.
The methane in the air comes out of the ground - it seeps from cracks. The concentration of gas is so high that no one in the village can not light a match, cigarette or use electrical equipment. Residents should be careful, because their metal tools can emit sparks, especially when hit the stone. Gas was discovered about a year ago, when 83-year-old Su Geng complained to authorities about a strange smell in her basement.
"After the test, I was told that this methane seeping out of the ground," she said. "The workers set fire to the air, to prove this fact." Natural gas field is located near the village. Therefore, the gas leaks and in the countryside. This seems to be true, but the locals has its own version. They blame the evil spirits, and invited the priests to get rid of the fire. Naturally, this does not work.
But the people continue to believe in otherworldly forces, in spite of the scientific evidence of this phenomenon. Some even believe that one day, a terrible fire will cover the entire area. But there are those who have used this natural feature to their advantage, and held in his home heating.
Such areas exist in many places in the world. For example, the slope on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey, where the lights burning for thousands of years - thanks to methane.