Houses of the rich merchants of tea in pre-revolutionary Russia
The richest merchants of pre-revolutionary Russia to realize themselves in many different types of businesses, and in the list of the most profitable areas can be put in the first lines of tea trade. Of course, not everyone turns to succeed in the "China business", but those who have succeeded, and became millionaires could afford more. For example, to build or buy a house-castle in the center of Moscow or the whole city estate.
Luxury city manor, built in the first half of the last century on the earthworks for the tea millionaire Peter and Basil Usachev, was known to the townspeople as "high mountains". This complex of buildings in the style typical of classicism - one of the last projects of the Swiss architect Domenico Gilardi in the capital.
It is very interesting to the main building with eight-column portico, elegant moldings on the facade and a ramp that leads from the front side of the building along the waterfront to the garden. By City Park manor adjoins an area of 8 hectares, which is still preserved rotunda of the garden pavilions and sculptures, as well as a small "tea house". Landscaping of the park was carried out with the direct participation of Peter Usachev, who was fond of gardening.
After Usachev estate owned manufacturer KHLUDOV, and in 1880 ownership passed Naydenova family of merchants.
Merchants of 1st guild Usachev reached commercial success gradually, once they were simple Tray traders in fruit and vegetables. Having succeeded in tea business and build a rich estate, they did not forget about the charity. Son of the youngest brother, Pyotr Usachev, although it was unable to continue and develop the tea his father and uncle, made the successful capital investments and most of the money spent on patronage. For example, he built a women's almshouse Church of the Nativity in Sergiev Posad.
This mansion in Glazov Lane is best known as the home of widow Margarita Morozova. However, before she lived there, Konstantin Popov - a major tea merchant, co-owner partnership "Brothers and K. Popov," which had its own passage, Kuznetsky.
Luxury house in the neo-Greek style was erected by his order in 1870 (a project of Alexander Ryazanov). The living room of the house was decorated in the Pompeian style dining - in Russian, and the hall - in the Empire style. I was in the house and a room with Egyptian mummy. After the owners of the mansion became Morozov, architect Mazyrin at their request, he rebuilt the house, but the facade appearance virtually unchanged.
Konstantin Popov Abramovich came from the peasants of Kostroma province, and his career began with a simple employee in a store. By learning the tricks of the tea business, a few years later he opened his own business. Soon Constantine joined his brother Simon. First they sold tea at retail, and when the case went to the mountain, take a companion experienced tea merchant Alexei Abrikosov.
Mansion, in question, built Seeds Popov son and namesake of his brother Constantine. He gave his wife the house, and when they parted, had left her possession.
By the way, Konstantin Popov, the first in our country has created a tea plantation. He bought about Batum large plot of land and planted it imported from China bushes, and to cultivate their invited family from China. The first batch of tea Popov presented to Nicholas II. By the way, the firm Popov had the right to represent on tea packaging national emblem as the official supplier of the Imperial Court.
Tea House Perloff
This famous building on Butcher quite rightly considered to be the most extraordinary and beautiful tea merchant house in Moscow. Here and today you can buy exquisite teas and exquisite dishes.
In-store house that belonged to the founder of Revolution Tea Company "pearls and Sons" Sergei Vasilievich pearl-barley, interesting and very well-known story.
Tea Empire pearl merchants began to develop at the end of the XVIII century and in the 1890s was known throughout Russia. During this period and appeared on the Butcher House in the style of the late Renaissance, the author of the project of which was Roman Klein.
Shortly after the owners decided to build richly decorate the building oriental elements - in the Chinese style. The work was entrusted to Karl Gippius. False details ornament pagoda and intricate interior (oriental vases, the national furniture, etc...) - all this was to strike had arrived in Russia the importance of the Chinese guest, but to visit the building, so thoroughly reworked for him, a foreigner and does not I had a chance to ...
Botkins, representatives of the oldest and well-known merchant family, had sales offices not only in Russian cities, but also in China and in Europe. They were incredibly rich and could easily afford to buy the manor complex.
Peter Botkin, leader based at the beginning of the XIX century company's wholesale Chinese tea "P. Botkin and Sons ", the city acquired the estate in Petroverigsky Lane in 1832. Before him, the estate owned by Ivan Turgenev (director of Moscow State University), which is often gathered in his house creative elite. It has been visited by many famous writers. After the death of Turgenev's estate complex was empty for a long time (the first in 1812, he severely burned in the war) and was eventually put up for auction, where he bought a tea-dealer.
The main building is a palace - the same sublime. When Botkin facades of the main manor house acquired features of Empire. Richly decorated were not only the exterior of the building, but also the interiors. Botkins If in-house guests Herzen, Tolstoy, Gogol and many other classics. The year before, he finished the restoration of this famous building, and now it is a museum of military uniforms.
Wolf Vysotsky entrepreneur, founder of the "V. firm Vysotsky and Co "was also widely known among Russian tea merchant. Moreover - a third of the Russian tea imports accounted for this merchant.
After the revolution, the merchant and his family emigrated abroad. Vysotsky descendants continued this business: today "Tea Vysotsky" can be found on sale not in Israel, where the main office of the company. Deliver it in Russia.
Mansion tea merchant family in Chudovsky Lane (now - Ogorodnaya settlement) was designed by Roman Klein and subsequently was modified several times. It is an exquisite building is somewhat reminiscent of a medieval castle.
The internal decor of the house was very pompous: gold-painted, stucco, wood trim precious rocks. Alas, after the nationalization of the premises interiors were gradually lost.